Chalet Loft/Open Second Floor

The tips and guides section.
General guides and tips only, quests have their own subsection!
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Chalet Loft/Open Second Floor

Post by SIMazing »

I have a feeling this is a dumb question, and that the answer is probably that we can’t, but I just got to ask anyway - can we build our own chalet type loft or open second floor?? I mean, we now have the really long ceiling light and the high windows and doors. Shouldn’t the open floor or loft also be possible? If so, I am totally clueless on how to pull it off and need some direction. Thanks!
HFN 1: Starter House with haunted upstairs, 1 firepole: (22 West Side)
HFN 2 -Clue House with 4 firepoles: on island behind Tempest of Bliss (3 Bliss Drive)
mockingbird288z

Re: Chalet Loft/Open Second Floor

Post by mockingbird288z »

The open second floor/loft area is actually a movable piece of furniture. It's called a landing. You can take it from the Snow Chalet and put it into inventory (it goes into the stairs tab) and then you can place it on another lot. Right now (I'm hoping we see more of these in the future with different sizes) we can only get it from building the snow chalet.
HFN: 22 West Side -- Includes dog and cat
Lakeside Christmas Update
SKatF
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by SKatF »

mockingbird288z wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 23:49 The open second floor/loft area is actually a movable piece of furniture. It's called a landing. You can take it from the Snow Chalet and put it into inventory (it goes into the stairs tab) and then you can place it on another lot. Right now (I'm hoping we see more of these in the future with different sizes) we can only get it from building the snow chalet.
I haven't tried yet, except some brief experimenting, but it looks like you build a big room with another room over it on the next floor up. Then you put the "landing" on the second floor up. If the landing is right against the wall, there is no balcony on that side, it just merges into the wall for a two story room. If you place it inside the space, balcony(s) will fill whatever space where the lower room is bigger than the upper room. The set of floors can be any from basement/1st (ground) floor thru 4th/5th floors. The design possibilities are awesome, but more so if they do eventually offer smaller "landings."
SKatF
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by SKatF »

Oh, and the landing has a limit of one per household (building lot) so each house can only have one. I wanted to try stacking for a three story room, but no go on that idea.
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by SIMazing »

Thank you! So glad to know it’s possible! :D
HFN 1: Starter House with haunted upstairs, 1 firepole: (22 West Side)
HFN 2 -Clue House with 4 firepoles: on island behind Tempest of Bliss (3 Bliss Drive)
D4n1el
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by D4n1el »

I’ve made two houses with an indoor balcony and it’s a pain the backside!! Each time I’ve done it it’s taken me ages and it’s isua hit and miss if I get it. I’m trying to search for a tutorial but have had no luck so far.
mockingbird288z

Post by mockingbird288z »

D4n1el wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 15:37 I’ve made two houses with an indoor balcony and it’s a pain the backside!! Each time I’ve done it it’s taken me ages and it’s isua hit and miss if I get it. I’m trying to search for a tutorial but have had no luck so far.
For starters the room has to be big enough. And you have to be on the first floor (or the room that is going to be underneath the open area) to actually place it. If you start on the first floor it's easier to get it into place if you move it with the "move" button while you have it selected. It's the one with four arrows going in four directions. If you start on the second floor (or the room that is going to be just the open space) you can drag it into place easier than you can on the first floor - you don't need to use the move button. But then once it is where you want it to be you need to tap the floor arrow down to the floor underneath to actually place it.
HFN: 22 West Side -- Includes dog and cat
Lakeside Christmas Update
kls1st
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by kls1st »

I don’t think you can place or move the landing if a sim is under it.
D4n1el
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by D4n1el »

Thanks for that!
Fo_Facy
Newborn Sim
Newborn Sim

Post by Fo_Facy »

Then open area of my loft disappeared. I’m not even sure how to get it back. It used to be that you could see down into the living area from the second floor and now there’s a barebones floor blocking the view