SimTown Olympics

Participate, organise or follow the challenges made up by players for players!
Akmawmaw
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Re: SimTown Olympics

Post by Akmawmaw »

SIMazing wrote:
Akmawmaw wrote:<snip> I saw there might be an update coming involving cars and garages! <snip>
Oh dear! I didn't account for an update coming so soon. I was thinking 8 weeks. :? :oops:
Ok, here is the exception. To be fair, if our Olympics are interrupted by an update, competition days may be put on hold without penalty, until the update's quests are finished.
That's what I was thinking IF there is one coming. May not be. Perturbee is always on top of it if there is and I haven't seen a post from her yet. EA on Facebook did just post a multigenerational photo contest though. I don't do those contests as I see it as just another way for them to mine my data. Not that they'd get much, but it's the idea. The games will proceed!
Akmawmaw
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by Akmawmaw »

Speaking of characters, how about that Oskar Charleton? Everyone in town calls him Nick or Santa. And why wouldn't they? He walks around in that Santa Suit twenty four seven and if you haven't yet seen his house, well, you're in for quite a treat! You'd think you'd dropped off the edge of the island and landed at the North Pole! The guys got it decked out to the nines with every imaginable Christmas paraphernalia. It's quite festive, actually, and people do love visiting but the guy lives as though he were, well, you know, actually Santa. Complete with Rudolph and all those reindeer of his. He calls them by name. Donner, Blitzen, Prancer, Dancer, the entire gang and one by one they all come to him. Well except for those two who seem to be anchored in place. Weird really. One of them just stands in the living room all the time. He even bought that futuristic machine that looks for all the world like a tornado chasers contraption just so he could have snow on his property year round. He's good to those Reindeer. Well, and they're good to him. Folks say he must be sitting on a gold mine or something with those critters constantly pawing it out of the earth for him.
It wasn't always Christmas at Oskars house though. The old timers of the island who knew Oskar when he moved there tell quite the tale about a man with delusions of being a space alien, dressed all in blue, whose house was about as Sci-Fi as you can get. Floating tables and bookshelves, legless chairs, glowing refrigerators and every high tech gadget imaginable. A real, well, weirdo.
Even said he used to talk of a space ship and some one or thing called Osiris who'd been a best friend of his, only to have left for outer space and never return. They said that's what broke him. He'd thought for sure he was supposed to be in that spaceship, yes, the mothership, when his buddy Osiris took off but it was not to be and he was left alone, dejected and wondering. Had it been real or was it, after all, as others had said, one gigantic delusion. He'd come to the island a broken man, sad, lonely and depressed.
And then one Christmas, something magical happened. Oskar came out of his house that had been so dark and dreary. It looked to some as though it were, at the very least, haunted. Oskar emerged and began to live life again. Gradually the oppressive furnishings and tattered, stained walls were replaced with festive and colorful Christmas patterns and decorations. Oskar, himself, underwent the biggest transformation. He was friendly and, yes, I guess one could have even said, jolly. And that is when he started wearing the Santa Suit. At first just for the holidays, but eventually, as if, were he to take it off, it would be lost forever, he has kept it on ever since and seemingly taken on the very persona of Santa Claus.
He somehow acquired that herd of almost magical reindeer. Some said it was a glitch or something and some say they originated from a single pixel. How he got them all, no one is really sure. But no matter how, they are majestic and interesting creatures. Always pawing at the ground and then looking up, just over their heads, as though there were some imaginary bubble or something atop their antlers. Then rearing up and snorting.. The townspeople just love to watch them. Sometimes for hours. And they're always rewarded handsomely for their attentions. Kris Kringle is very generous with the good folk of Simaui.
The elders who knew are, sadly, no longer with us and Oskar, preferring to be called Santa now, speaks nothing of his past, so no one may ever know for sure but, it is said if you look closely, to this day, you can see a hint of dark blue hair under that Santa hat.

The final preparations are being made for tomorrow's opening ceremony and the sleepy little island paradise is all abuzz with the activities and excitement.
A few last minute changes had to be made. The toddlers had to be taken to the day care, their slides in tow. It was felt it was much safer for them to have their own little Simlympics in the safety of the daycare under the watchful eyes of Stuart Hancock.
Most folks remember Stuart as the owner/ entrepreneur, along with his wife Nicole of Stuarts Sweatshop. A combination of hard economic times, outsourcing, and numerous labor and OSHA violations had shut down their little enterprise more than half a year ago.
They'd, surprisingly, opened a daycare in a modest little one story on the west side of Simtown. They must've found their calling, as their Dilly Dally Daycare ballooned into a three story riotous cacophony of color, toys and much, much laughter.
They're the ones, everyone remembers, who celebrated their six month anniversary by giving away free Teddy Bears all over town! They even had several shipped to the mayor of Simaui to distribute among the islanders. Nice people, they were more than happy to pitch in and help with all the toddlers and have their toddling Sim Slide Event at the daycare.

The events in place are the Diving Competition on the Mainland, Figure Skating at Oskar/Santa's and the Trampolinathon at Mayor Hills. The judges will likely be up until the wee hours tweaking the score cards ensuring a fair competition for all. The coaches are nervous and the Simathletes anxious and no one could be more proud than Mayor Erin Hill. She has said the she is very appreciative of the Simazing Simlympic Committee for entrusting her with this honor. She's rumored to be delighted that Mayor Maya Angelou will be attending and hope she brings sim poetry. It's also been noted that the UK Delegates are watching the progress with an eye toward their own upcoming festivities. (Health permitting)
So, before everyone heads to their comfy and stylish beds for a much needed deep sleep (no sleeping through the alarm allowed tomorrow) Kathy Buser wanted everyone to know that her husband Martin, you know, that musher over at 2 west Oceanside, is back in first place running the Iditarod. He's made it into Nickolai. There's still a long way to go to Nome so it's still anybody's race. Happy Trails!
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by SIMazing »

It all began as old Rev. Recess was having a small meal at Floaties Restaurant & Grill. He couldn’t help but hear the teenagers and pre-teen complaining about being bored (after-all, he had turned up his hearing aid to full blast). By the time he got up from his table to talk to them, though, they had finished their meals and headed off to the library’s computer center to play some computer games. He yelled out the door after them anyway, and a few of the adults took in what the formerly fiery preacher had to say. “Back in my day, we got all excited about new community lots, new yard toys, and playing outside. You young simmians and all your new-fangled gadgets, staying indoors all day! Bah!" Rev. Reese adjusted his glasses. "Where did they go?” He squinted and grumbled. He too, was bored and disgruntled.

Ben elbowed Rob, his neighbor. They had both brought their kids to the restaurant. “I know what he means. When the swim center was built, I was there every hour. Now I have a board at home, and just dive when I feel like it. More fun than that crazy snow park. Who wants to come down the hill on a toboggan and land on your head all the time?”

At that, Rob, not the nicest of friends, replied, “Those toboggans are great! But what would you know? You’re getting a little thick in the middle from all those pancakes your wife makes. I’d bet even my son could beat you, or anyone else in this town down that hill! You need to get more exercise."

Ben was shocked. Well, only a little. His wife, Stephanie has been making a lot of pancakes, biscuits, cookies, chocolate puddings, … maybe he is getting a little out of shape. But he still knew he could beat an unskilled pre-teen down the snowy hill. “You’re on.”

“Count me in, too” said Rev. Recess coming back in the door. “Better yet, I’ll arrange the whole thing! And not just toboggans and chocolate pudding either.” Ben and Rob tried to understand the senior mumbling along, as he turned around again and left the restaurant. They shrugged their shoulders and went back to their conversation.

Back at home, Rev. Recess reclined in his favorite chair and drew up a plan in his head. He kept falling asleep though, and waking up about every 15 mins. “Why aren’t these things more comfortable?” he grumbled. So, the planning process, which he thought he would complete in one night, took him a few days. Then he called around town to borrow some things. The townspeople grew suspicious. They asked questions like, “What does a sim, who can’t even lift his feet, want with a bunch of trampolines?” Yet, he collected a few. And he made deals with business owners, park managers, and the town’s security department (Kent, Wayne, & Prince). He would begin the town’s first SimTown Olympics.

The word spread all over town. For the first time in ages, the townsims were eager to get to the community parks to practice. Rev. Recess discussed it with the Mayor, who emailed everyone a set of rules, list of events, and a sign up page. Half the town decided to take part!

As the days approached, there were only a couple more things remaining on Rev Recess' todo list. The top item was acquiring an Olympic torch. It was near the end of winter in SimTown, with quite a few storms passing through, and no one wanted to give up their fire pits, fire barrels, or bamboo lamps. Without a job, and living on SocialSim Security, Rev. Recess hardly had the simoleons to buy one of his own. So he decided to burn some waffles. Maybe the Famous Teen Idol would carry his old burning stove to the opening ceremony. "Stranger things have happened around here." Rev. Recess chuckled to himself at the idea, and then fell asleep in his recliner, again.
Last edited by SIMazing on 05 Mar 2014, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
HFN 1: Starter House with haunted upstairs, 1 firepole: (22 West Side)
HFN 2 -Clue House with 4 firepoles: on island behind Tempest of Bliss (3 Bliss Drive)
Akmawmaw
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by Akmawmaw »

The torch (fire pit) has been lit! Let the games begin!
Opening simemonys. A moment of silence that the games go well.
Opening simemonys. A moment of silence that the games go well.
hipmomx2
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by hipmomx2 »

what are your thoughts on the exercise bike? for competing or maybe practicing?
also, on the injury...one odd/one even is out a few hrs...whats a few?
boysnberry11
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by boysnberry11 »

I need to catch up. Life got in the way!!
GC: boysnberry11
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by SIMazing »

hipmomx2 wrote:what are your thoughts on the exercise bike? for competing or maybe practicing?
also, on the injury...one odd/one even is out a few hrs...whats a few?
The exercise bike could be used for an event, and is a great idea for practice. So are the weights. I'll add them. Realized today that Karate and Ballet would work too. There are probably several others that I didn't think about. If anyone thinks of more sports that will work, I'll add them.

The wording should say out for two or three hours (which I will go back in and edit now). There are particular consequences for that one:
SIMazing wrote:One odd, one even, The Olympian is out for a few hours. The sim may call tech support to call their doctor, OR sleep it off on the couch for a few hours, OR fall sleep in a tub, OR cook some chocolate pudding (because chocolate fixes everything). Then they may return to competition, if it is still ongoing.
HFN 2 -Clue House with 4 firepoles: on island behind Tempest of Bliss (3 Bliss Drive)
Akmawmaw
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by Akmawmaw »

Big day of competitions!
Great lunch break.
Will be hiring new judges tomorrow.
Attachments
Diving competitors and judges didn't want to take the time to change for lunch break.
Diving competitors and judges didn't want to take the time to change for lunch break.
Ice rinklympians enjoying the noon meal together with Judge Oskar/Santa
Ice rinklympians enjoying the noon meal together with Judge Oskar/Santa
Trampolinathon Diva can't face the table.
Trampolinathon Diva can't face the table.
hiser1974

Post by hiser1974 »

Thanks SIMazing for putting this challenge together!
Unfortunately I'm not able to participate at the moment (no time to play due to RL) but these kind of challenges make me eager to play again. Well, at least I can read all the stories, I love them.
I think you just rekindled my enthusiasm to play more again.
Who needs an update from FM with all these wonderful ideas :mrgreen:
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by SIMazing »

hiser1974 wrote:Thanks SIMazing for putting this challenge together!
Unfortunately I'm not able to participate at the moment (no time to play due to RL) but these kind of challenges make me eager to play again. Well, at least I can read all the stories, I love them.
I think you just rekindled my enthusiasm to play more again.
Who needs an update from FM with all these wonderful ideas :mrgreen:
You're welcome! And Thanks! :D

I'm back for more feedback. This time on the number coaches. (Sorry, Akmawmaw. Hope this doesn't mess with your storyline.)
Is the restriction of each athlete having their own per coach (not sharing) too rigid? Would one coach per Olympic team (with a limitation on team size) be better?

EDIT TO ADD:
I'm making a cheat sheet for challenge scoring, and was going over the challenge again, and realized that I don't have the point deductions written out for coach interactions and sleep for those not using the dice. I will be adding them this morning.

The cheat sheet will just be a page you can print out, and write over to put your points on paper. I'm sorry that I didn't have this all figured out before posting. Thank you all for working with me and being patient with me. :oops: :)