SimTown Olympics

Participate, organise or follow the challenges made up by players for players!
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

SimTown Olympics

Post by SIMazing »

This challenge is more for fun than anything else. This is the first time I've ever tried to write a challenge, so bare with me. I'm hoping it isn't too complicated, and that everyone enjoys it.
I am continuing to modify this challenge to include clarifications, and slight adjustments for scoring, points, and penalties, as well as add more categories for competitions, as they are suggested. Thank you for your patience, as I work it all out.
Today's clarifications and changes are temporarily in red.
:)

SimTown Olympics

Your sims have been talking about the various things to do in town, and have well, gotten a little bored. One sim starts suggesting that they are better than everyone else at one of the activities, which starts a challenge city-wide. A week long SimTown Olympics seems to be in order. Events are arranged. Fire will burn brightly. Injuries will occur. Chocolate will be eaten. Let The Games Begin!

WHAT YOU NEED:
Sim Olympians, 2 or more
Coaches, every Olympian needs their own coach
Judges - 2 or more
The same sims can compete in all of the games

**Real dice, or random.org/dice- one for each judge, plus one for deductions, or a coin to flip, or numbered papers to draw from. See Judging.
Film crew and cameras (optional)
TVs and spectators (optional)
Each olympian needs a "hotel" (a place to sleep, shower, bathe, and eat), and a place to practice (All but the bed can be shared with other sims)
Auctioneers podium or a politician's mirror (optional)
Snow park, swim center, town park, and/or a house lot available
Olympic "Torch" (you can use only one): fire pit, fire barrel, bamboo lamp, or a burning stove/oven
*No LPs are to be used for this challenge to forward actions. LP may be used to make purchases of needed items.*

SET UP:
The individual sporting events do not have to be all at one location.
You must choose a time to begin and end your competition each day, no more than 12 hours, no less than two.
At least 2 judges must be present. Spectators being present is optional.

EVENTS:
Will need at least three a day. (Having more is optional.) You can chose the same three every day, a different three each day, or a combination. You simply need enough events to last 7 days or an odd number of days of competition.
You will need at least two competitors in each category you choose, three is better for points, but not necessary.
Events can take place in community lots, regular houses, or at a neighbors' town.
Sports with different time options will be different events based on time. (the 4 min intervals are different events from the one hour intervals. These can not be judged together for this challenge.)

Pick from the following: More Events Added!
Water Sports:
diving board
pool slides
slip and slide
water volleyball*

Cold Sports:
figure ice skating
snowboards
toboggans
snow ball fights*

Field Sports:
soccer
foosball table*
trampoline
skate ramp*

Floor Sports:
Biking/Cycling* (exercise bike)
Weight lifting* (Toyota weights found at Beach House or unlocked at level 48)
Karate
Ballet

*Senior Friendly

WHAT OLYMPIANS NEED: (Also See Points and Penalties)
Practice at least once every day until their competition is complete (does not have to be the same length as competition)
Interaction with their coach every day until their competition is complete
3 meals a day
Shower or take a bath (at least once a day)
Sleep daily

POINTS AND PENALTIES:
PRACTICE:
Olympians are encouraged to practice often. Practices can be however long or short you want. They must complete an entire task if they do though. If you start a soccer practice, you must complete the full 3 hours. Practice sessions should include at least one time at their sport. Other options, such as Tai Chi can be used at the park to count for stretches, can count for points. However, points for practice that does not include their sport begin at the second practice level instead of first.
Practice points:
100 points for first practice
50 for second
25 for third
Skipping practice, 50 point deduction (per day skipped).

INTERACTIONS: points same as XP amounts
Coach: Need to have at least one per day that is face-to-face.
Family: optional.
Acceptable interactions include face-to-face (all available), call mom, call a friend, and check email.
Skipping interactions with the coach:
For Dice: deduct highest judges score for following competition. Score is reduced by 1-6 points according to dice roll.
For Coins: In a tie-breaker the Olympian would automatically receive Tails.
For Paper: Olympian receives one number higher than pulled slip. (i.e. If 3 sims are competing, and said Olympian receives a 1, they are given 2. If you pull a 2, then they are given 3. If you pull a 3, the sim does not win anything. Similarly, if only two sims are competing, and said Olympian receives a 1, they are given 2. If they pull a 2, then the sim does not win anything.)

MEALS:
Each meal is worth 25 points, up to 3 per day.
Skipping a meal, 10 point reduction to total points (per meal skipped).

CLEANLINESS:
Shower or take a bath (at least once a day), each worth 15 points.
Skipping bathing, 100 point deduction.

SLEEP:
Sleep daily: points awarded according to XP (can use bed, couch, chair, poolside recliner...). Exceptions: Sleep through alarm is only worth 750 points, dozing off in a chair only 100, and mellow out only 200.
Skipping sleep, using dice:
One day: increases your deductions score by the lowest die on the judges score at the next event
Two to Four days: increases your deductions score by the middle die on the judges score at each next event until sleep is acquired.
Five to Seven days: increases your deductions score by the highest die on the judges score at each next event until sleep is acquired, or the Olympics are over.
Skipping sleep, using coins:
One day: In a tie-breaker during the Olympian's first event, they would automatically receive Tails.
Two to Four days: In a tie-breaker during the Olympian's first and second events, they would automatically receive Tails.
Five to Seven days: In a tie-breaker during the Olympian's first, second and third events, they would automatically receive Tails.
Skipping sleep, using paper:
One day: Olympian receives one number higher than pulled slip for their first event of the day. (See Interactions for examples.)
Two to Four days: Olympian receives one number higher than pulled slip for their first and second events of the day, until sleep is acquired.
Five to Seven days: Olympian receives one number higher than pulled slip for their first, second, and third events of the day, until sleep is acquired, or the Olympics are over.

SCORE POINTS & JUDGING:
If using real dice or randomized dice at random.org/dice to get scores: roll all but one to get scores from the judges. Add these together. Then roll one die to get the deductions score. Subtract this to get the total score.
If you use the randomize website: roll all of the dice. Add all except the last die to get the judges score. Subtract the last die to get the total score.
When skipping an action has a penalty: the deduction is taken from the competitors next dice roll. No action is required until they compete again. Let's say, it's for skipping talking to your coach, and you have 4 judges (which means 5 dice total, one is for "deductions" or errors made while competing). Normally if you roll: 2, 6, 3, 1, 4, then you would add the first four dice (judges score): 2+6+3+1=12 and then subtract the error score (deductions) which is 4, 12-4=8. However, knowing the penalty in advance allows you to subtract the particular score from the judges first. So the math would be 2+3+1=6, and 6-4=2.

If Using a Coin: Heads are for higher scores, Tails for lower, and then use extra flips to settle ties.
If Drawing Numbers out of a hat/bowl (numbers written on small strips of paper): write one number on each slip, conceal/fold the paper, draw out a slip for each Olympian.

METALS:
Each "gold" metal is worth 1000 points
Each "silver" metal is worth 500 points
Each "bronze" metal is worth 250 points.
You can use imaginary or real objects as metals. They do not have to be gold, silver, and bronze, but be consistent on what they mean.
You can award metals each day or on Closing Day.

OPENING DAY:
There must be a torch of some sort (see list above). Either have as many of your Olympians as possible gather together at the Town Park, for a speaker give a speech using a soapbox, or have them gather at a house lot where the speaker can use a podium or mirror. If at a home, have a camera filming the crowd (they do not need to complete the three hours). Overflow Olympians, coaches, and families are encouraged to watch on TVs. Feel free to add music and fanfare. Turn on the fire.

COMPETITION DAYS:
This is a 7 day competition. You may begin the games on opening day, but does not have to start then. Once the games begin, you will need an odd number of days to compete. No less than 7 is recommended for this challenge, due to the possibility of injury (see details below). Each day, your sims will need to compete. Even though there needs to be events every day, if you are using a different set of Olympians for different events, they do not need to compete every day. (i.e. If Sim1 is doing a diving event, but your chosen events for today are ice skating, Foosball, and trampolines, then only those Olympians would compete, and Sim1 is not required to do so. Skipping all events for the day is what results in the penalty. Skipping a complete day of games results in a 700 point deduction for that day. A sim missing a game will not result in a competition day penalty.

INJURIES:
Days 2, 4, and 6 involve medical emergencies:
For Dice:
Roll two dice to determine which hour you emergencies will fall on.
When the hour is here...
Roll Two Dice, one time for each of that day's competitors:
Both evens: The Olympian is fine, and will continue to complete.
Both odds: The Olympian is out for the whole day. The sim must go back to "hotel" to take a shower or bath and sleep, minimum 6 hours.
One odd, one even: the Olympian is out for two or three hours. Choose from the following: The sim may call tech support to call their doctor, OR sleep it off on the couch for a few hours, OR fall sleep in a tub, OR cook some chocolate pudding (because chocolate fixes everything). Then they may return to competition, if it is still ongoing.
If an Olympian has two odds out injuries in a row (days 2 & 4, or 4 & 6, then they are out for the remainder of the competition).

For Coin & Paper Slips:
For each of that day's competitors either flip a coin twice, or draw two numbers:
Both heads or both evens: The Olympian is fine, and will continue to complete.
Both tails or both odds: The Olympian is out for the whole day. The sim must go back to "hotel" to take a shower or bath and sleep, minimum 6 hours.
One tails/odd, one heads/even: [/color]the Olympian is out for two or three hours. Choose from the following:The sim may call tech support to call their doctor, OR sleep it off on the couch for a few hours, OR fall sleep in a tub, OR cook some chocolate pudding (because chocolate fixes everything). Then they may return to competition, if it is still ongoing.
If an Olympian has two injuries occur on consecutive medical days (days 2 & 4, or 4 & 6), then they are out for the remainder of the competition.

CLOSING DAY:
Again, either have as many of your Olympians as possible gather together at the Town Park, for a speaker give a speech using a soapbox, or have them gather at a house lot where the speaker can use a podium or mirror. Extra Olympians, coaches, and families are encouraged to watch on TVs. Set cameras rolling. Award metals, if you haven't done so. Feel free to add music and fanfare. Turn off the fire.

OPTIONAL SCORE CARD:
Optional Score Card
Optional Score Card
Edited 03/04: to add notation for senior friendly events.
Edited 03/05: to add more event options, and a wording correction in injuries.
Edited 03/06: Fixed typos, edited colors, added missing penalties for skipping interactions and sleep, attached an optional score card, and updated that card.
Last edited by SIMazing on 06 Mar 2014, 20:14, edited 10 times in total.
HFN 1: Starter House with haunted upstairs, 1 firepole: (22 West Side)
HFN 2 -Clue House with 4 firepoles: on island behind Tempest of Bliss (3 Bliss Drive)
boysnberry11
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Re: SimTown Olympics

Post by boysnberry11 »

Very creative!! I'll need to read it again to digest. But, sounds like a way to curb the boredom.
GC: boysnberry11
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by SIMazing »

Had to edit the challenge because I left out the sleep element. :oops: Looks like I'm the one who needs more sleep. :lol:
HFN 2 -Clue House with 4 firepoles: on island behind Tempest of Bliss (3 Bliss Drive)
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by SIMazing »

Can I get some feedback on the idea? I'm willing to make adjustments and clarifications if needed. Thanks!
Akmawmaw
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by Akmawmaw »

I'm not a numbers person.
This is my brain on math.
@&$$&@*^%
#%^*£€¥^%
#&$@¥£@&%
$€$&%#&$%
I do, however, love the idea of an Olympics and went and bought swimsuits in anticipation of the event. Brilliant for the torch to be put up and then extinguished.
My sims neeeeed to get out of their beds and do something!
For me, the keeping score thing is too complicated.
So, my "simplified" plan would be to skip all the dice rolling. Haha. Numbers. But seriously.
If I understand correctly, we have to have a minimum of six people present per event and three events minimum per day. So that's 18 sims minimum. Check. The Olympians must shower, eat, sleep, interact with coach, practice and compete every day. Got it. What do the judges and coaches do when the Olympians are doing their thing? Any rules there?
It's the scoring part that has me confused. Like:
"Skipping interaction means deduct highest judges score for following competition." I don't understand that. The skipping sleep calculations actually caused my brain to short circuit. It smelled like rubber burning. hmmmm. Again, the math thing. People who love numbers are probably thinking that is a brilliant scoring system! My brain hits a brick Wall.
Are we going to share our Olympic pictures? Can the reindeer watch? I joke about the reindeer. I love your idea. I've not done a challenge before. Do we all start on a certain day and end on a certain day or at your own pace or? If I'm the only non numbers person here and everyone else is on board, I can fake it! Haha.
SIMazing
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by SIMazing »

I love your quote about your brain on math. Brilliant!
I hope it's a fun idea to do the challenge, with or without the math. Definitely post pics, and have any sim/creature you want watching. Fans are encouraged. :D
I plan on starting Monday, due to my schedule, and am using the weekend to get ready. But, there isn't any set start date. I'm leaving it open so that anyone can do it at their leisure (and maybe do it again sometime).

I'm sorry that some of it was confusing. Let me make some clarifications:
Akmawmaw wrote:<snip> If I understand correctly, we have to have a minimum of six people present per event and three events minimum per day. So that's 18 sims minimum.
You only need 9 sims minimum. The same 3 sims can compete in all of the games. So you need to have 3 olympians, 3 judges, and 3 coaches. Everyone else is optional.
Akmawmaw wrote:<snip> The Olympians must shower, eat, sleep, interact with coach, practice and compete every day.
Even though there needs to be events every day, if you are using a different set of olympians for different events, they do not need to compete every day. (i.e. If Sim1 is doing a diving event, but your chosen events for today are ice skating, foosball, and trampolines, then only those olympians would compete, and Sim1 is not required to do so. Skipping all events for the day is what results in the penalty.
Akmawmaw wrote:<snip> What do the judges and coaches do when the Olympians are doing their thing? Any rules there?
No particular rules about the coaches and judges activities. When I thought it up, I imagined them sitting in chairs watching (or dozing off), but also would limit the number of competitors at a location. You can do with them whatever you like. And there isn't a rule that prohibits an olympian of one sport from being a judge of another. I hope that helps people with smaller towns.
Akmawmaw wrote:<snip> It's the scoring part that has me confused. Like:
"Skipping interaction means deduct highest judges score for following competition."
Regarding the confusing scoring, let me answer for those who want to keep it, and for those who want to drop it (provided that you are still keeping count of your challenge points).

Keeping the dice (answering the question above):
When skipping an action has a penalty, the deduction is taken from the competitors next dice roll. No action is required until they compete again. Let's say, it's for skipping talking to your coach, and you have 4 judges (which means 5 dice total, one is for "deductions" or errors made while competing). Normally if you roll: 2, 6, 3, 1, 4, then you would add the first four dice (judges score): 2+6+3+1=12 and then subtract the error score (deductions) which is 4, 12-4=8. However, knowing the penalty in advance allows you to subtract the particular score from the judges first. So the math would be 2+3+1=6, and 6-4=2.
(If that is not clearer, please let me know.)

Doing away with the dice (this took me a little bit of time to work out):
Originally, I was thinking of the scores as part of the points system, but since I never actually typed that part into the challenge, I won't add it now. That being said, you can chose your winners however you like. Perhaps, you can flip a coin (Heads for higher scores, Tails for lower, and then extra flips to settle ties), or draw numbers out of a hat (numbers written on small papers) to determine whether the sim metaled or goes home empty.

Point deductions/penalties:
SKIPPING SLEEP: For those not using the dice, you'll reduce challenge points instead of judges.
One day: lose 25 points
Two to Four days: lose 50 points each day
Five to Seven days: lose 100 points each day.

INJURIES: Time can be chosen at random. Flip a coin, or draw numbers using an even number of papers.
For each of that day's competitors either flip a coin twice, or draw two numbers:
Both heads or both evens: The Olympian is fine, and will continue to complete.
Both tails or both odds: The Olympian is out for the whole day. The sim must go back to "hotel" to take a shower or bath and sleep, minimum 6 hours.
One tails/odd, one heads/even, The Olympian is out for a few hours. The sim may call tech support to call their doctor, OR sleep it off on the couch for a few hours, OR fall sleep in a tub, OR cook some chocolate pudding (because chocolate fixes everything). Then they may return to competition, if it is still ongoing.
If an Olympian has two injuries occur on consecutive medical days (days 2 & 4, or 4 & 6), then they are out for the remainder of the competition.

Everyone is welcome to do the SimTown Olympics, even if you don't want to the point counting challenge part. Just have fun with it! :D I'm excited to see what people come up with. :mrgreen:
Akmawmaw
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by Akmawmaw »

Thanks simazing. My sims are looking forward to getting out of their hibernation and doing something!
Minima
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by Minima »

So much thought has gone into this. Thank you.
I think it may be a little overwhelming for the time I have during the working week but I like the idea of modifying it into a mini-Olympics or a triathlon which I may well start on Thursday when it's quieter.
Great idea. I'm truly bored with the new hobbies offered recently. :D
Distinctly unimpressed with EA.
Actively playing my old game for as long as I can.
Akmawmaw
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by Akmawmaw »

They all traveled to the B&B on the island. Hayley and Harry ( Harriet, actually, but she long ago adopted the moniker Harry) were the hostesses for the biggest event Simaui had seen in a very long time. It was being dubbed the event of the decade as this sleepy little island paradise had not seen the likes of it since the movie Simrassic Park had been filmed here over ten years ago. All the hoopla had long since died down from that event, as had most of the businesses that sprang up back then to accommodate such an influx of people. Now, there was just the one accommodation left. H&H B&B as it was informally known around the island. A usually quiet place hosting the occasional island visitor or local wedding. Oh, but it was bustling now! The Simlympics were coming to Simaui! No one knew, really, how Mayor Hill had pulled it off. With her husband, Stu having so rapidly deteriorated and become disabled with that mysterious and still undiagnosed disorder. Some say it was updatitis. Oh how they wished the island had any kind of good medical care. And the two of them, after all those childless years, moving to the island and starting that center for homeless children. That was the platform, after all, that got Erin elected as Mayor. Care for the Children. What a shock it was to everyone, most of all Stu and Erin, that they began having children of their own soon after! The rapid succession of multiple births required the hasty expansion of their little piece of island paradise. It's kind of unsightly, really, but no one minds as they truly love their Mayor and her burgeoning family. It's just that she's so very busy these days, everyone wondered how she had the time, or even the forethought, to procure such a large event as the Simlympics for their tiny little island! No matter, hasty preparations were made and the place was made ready for something to truly awaken the sleepy, sometimes lethargic town. It seemed as though everyone had been in hibernation and now were emerging from their homes and businesses to prepare for a fun and exciting event! The Simlympians and their entourages were arriving by the plane load and the excitement was building! Could Simaui really pull this off?
Testing the sound system.
Testing the sound system.
Last edited by Akmawmaw on 03 Mar 2014, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
blackbrit
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by blackbrit »

Akmawmaw you are amazing! I love your story surrounding the the Simlympics, and I'm glad to know your backstory on your Mayor and her family! (Enough so I'm going to re-read it!)

My Mayor, Maya Angelou, is quite the traveler and she plans to come to the Simplympics and see what she can learn from your mayor, as it is the business and diplomatic coup of Sim History.

Would that we could send several Sims to your town all at once! My Sim athletes all want to go as representatives of BB [blackbrit] Town My toddlers may wake from hibernation so they can practice at their own toddler version of Simplympics and nurture their dreams of being future Simplympians. :D
L 55, Easter Update
HFN, #2 Firehouse RD.
Haunted House #20 West Side. Pre-built HH @ #1 Firehouse RD.
"C" for 74 cats, "R" for 80 reindeer; See map view
GC: blackbrit.1
For GC: Mention Hay Day or SFP