Tips for a Sims 3 newbie in a Sims 4 world!

Moderator: Sims 3 Moderators

ZeeGee

Strike that!

Post by ZeeGee »

After playing in CAS today I now realize why I was calling it the sim bin...
sim bin.jpg
Notice the red sort of circle in the top picture. When you click on that it asks if you want to save to bin, which is the saved sims folder. Just to the left of the circle is where you will find these sims, and also a lot of EA default sims. So I'm calling this the sim bin. See the bottom picture? That is the library. This is an awesome feature. If you make a sim or build a house you can save them in this library. You can save a sim by itself or with its home. Then place them wherever you want, in the same town, in a different town. EA also has some default sims and families in the library. I've hidden them because I like making my own. I have always been tempted to start a new game, delete all townies, and put the same sim in every house just to see what would happen. She'd be meeting herself coming and going :lol:
Stonehenge.jpg
I was wandering through the hills of Sunset Valley and found this. Looks like Stonehenge!
Last edited by ZeeGee on 01 Jul 2015, 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
ZeeGee

The Awesome 'm' key

Post by ZeeGee »

I just found a GREAT tip! When you're trying to place items on a shelf, counter, coffee tablet, etc., any surface, you never know how many slots there are to place decorative items. You just play with it until you get something to stick. Then take another item and try to get it to stick too. That's how I've been doing it. That's the hard way!

The easy way is to place an item on the surface, don't click to put it down, and start pressing the 'm' key. This will jump the item around and show you every space that is available on the surface and when you figure out which space you want your item to be in, click it down there. SO much easier!!
Screenshot-2.jpg
I kept hearing a weird noise like static, so started looking around and finally found a broken TV! Time to call the repairman. Or learn the handiness skill :)
ZeeGee

Pudding face??

Post by ZeeGee »

UPDATE: Wow, I've learned a lot since these early posts! I have since learned that the term 'pudding face' is for sims who have all their sliders set on 'zero'. Yes, in S3 you have sliders to change up sims completely. The pudding face sims are attractive but do indeed all look the same. When you've deleted all the sims in the game and allow the town to repopulate, all the sims will have the default "0" pudding faces. And MATY is a sims site called More Awesome Than You with a bunch of very talented modders but very mean people if you ask a dumb question. I recommend lurking, not posting! Ok, on to the original post, which I'm going to leave up because I like the pics.

I kept seeing this term that is supposedly descriptive of TS3 sims faces. I didn't really understand. They look fine to me. But after some googling (been doing a lot of that lately) I finally came up with an answer from some posts on the forum. This was a term originally coined by 'MATY" (I don't know who or what that is) that meant the sims all looked the same in game, like vanilla pudding. I've never noticed this but I deleted all of the EA sims out of my game first thing, and started populating the town with my own SFP sims. And I mean really, if you want to see REAL pudding face look at the SFP sims! I was delighted by all the variety in TS3. SO, new project. I started a new game in Sunset Valley with all the original sims. I've been going around looking at all the sims and I really don't think they look the same at all. They just need makeovers! So I'll be posting some of my makeovers. Please let me know if you think I've disproved the 'pudding face' naysayers. I think you SFP'ers will be on amazed at all the variety and run to your computers and buy TS3...wait, I've said that before, haven't I. A girl can dream.

I also have to admit I'm having lots of fun in this new game. I've seen lots of interactions that I've never seen before. It's fun to just sit back and watch what they get up to! I'm pretty controlling of my SFP town sims :)
Agnes.Crumplebottom.jpg
First up is Agnes Crumplebottom. Before pictures in the game and in CAS mode are on top, after pictures are on the bottom. My rule for makeover is no plastic surgery! New hair, makeup and clothes is the only thing allowed, no adjusting their faces with sliders.
Cornelia.Goth.jpg
Next is Cornelia Goth. She is the sister of Agnes! I did not know that until tonight. Even though they're sisters, I think they look nothing alike, in the before OR in the after! No pudding face here. :)
Last edited by ZeeGee on 01 Jul 2015, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
ZeeGee

Now for some men sims makeovers

Post by ZeeGee »

I did this post already then lost it somehow so pardon the brevity.
Gunther.Goth.jpg
This is Gunther Goth, Cornelia's husband. He has amazing eyes and looks a little foreign I think.
Jared.Frio.jpg
Jared Frio, typical all American boy <3
ZeeGee

Has Devin swung by Sunset Valley?

Post by ZeeGee »

Hayley-Belle, are you on here? The last four sims I've (randomly) made over have been red heads. I'm starting to get suspicious...
ZeeGee

The scientific method

Post by ZeeGee »

I got to thinking, makeovers is not the way to prove sims don't look alike. For that, you need the scientific method. Put them all in the same hair with no makeup! And doing the same thing. They're watching TV. That's how to see what they really look like. And here's the results:
the guys.jpg
girl sims.jpg
The top two guys look a little alike, but they're brothers so maybe they're supposed to. I don't think they have pudding faces. I think they're attractive. I'm going to keep playing this game along with my SFP game. The funniest and most unexpected things happen!
ZeeGee

Don't hire a maid unless you got a mod! And the Jared+Claire love story

Post by ZeeGee »

There are characters in Sims that are called NPCs, non playable characters. They appear when you hire a maid or various other tasks I haven't tried yet. They are not playable characters in the game that have a home and that you can switch to in edit town (you can make them playable characters but that's another post). However, if you have the NRAAS mod it's easy to just check them out in CAS. So I started checking them out. EVERY SINGLE MAID WAS A KLEPTO! Unbelievable. The three maids I've seen are Kate Pistachio, Grady Elfman, and Danielle Hsu. So I removed that trait and made them disciplined instead. HA. Thank you, NRAAS.

I've been playing this new game with all the original sims and there's so much going on. I noticed Jared Sims had a new baby moodlet and I'm like, whuuut? This guy is a bachelor who lives with his brother. I'm looking everywhere and finally find the baby across the street at his ex-girlfriend's house, Claire Ursine. I'm determined to get them back together (for the sake of the child) so I send him over to see her and no matter what I do their relationship just keeps getting deeper in the enemy zone. They're standing on the porch and I try friendly actions, romantic actions, no dice. So finally I used my NRAAS mod (it really is a godsend) and made him her fiancee. Well she beats the crap out of him and he turns tail and runs for home! LOL. Claire is a klepto too, it's her job. So I'm leaving her alone with that. A little evil balances out the fun :lol:
Claire Ursine.jpg
Claire's makeover. I did use a slider to take off some of the baby weight. I love this sim! I think she's really stunning.
ZeeGee

SIMS 3 EXPANSION PACKS ON SALE!

Post by ZeeGee »

Origin has a lot of the EPs and SPs on sale, usual price is $19.99. On sale right now for $13.32. These are additions to the base Sims 3 game, which is still $19.99 for starter pack with base game, Late Night expansion pack and High End Loft stuff pack. Sale ends in about 24 hours.
ZeeGee

Tsk, tsk, tsk

Post by ZeeGee »

Claire2.jpg
Well she may be a HOT Mama but she's not a very GOOD Mama...Claire leaves the baby on the porch to go for a swim at the beach across the street from her house.
ZeeGee

You can zoom out in town view!

Post by ZeeGee »

As in SFP towns, you can click on 'view town' but there's only one view. So I didn't know there was a way to zoom out and see the whole town at once, some beautiful scenery, and I even happened to catch an airplane on its way over. Just hit the 'tab' key when you're in town view mode and you can zoom in and out and up and down.
zoom view.jpg
This is Sunset Valley, the town that comes with the basic Sims 3 game. Remind you of anything? :D There's the lighthouse and even the balloon.

scenery.jpg
Some nice scenery pics with the new view.